Here at SMT Lifestyle, we love the sporty sisters over at Lorna Jane. So much so, that sometimes when they post articles as amazing as this, we feel incredibly compelled to repost it. Enjoy reading their take on just how much smiling can improve your wellbeing!
To quote Annie, that tremendously talented, and perpetually positive young orphan ‘you’re never fully dressed without a smile’ and quite frankly, we couldn’t agree more! You would never dream of leaving home without your pants on, right (at least I hope not anyway), and we shouldn’t treat a smile any differently. As modern women, our lives are busier than ever and with our brains in constant overdrive, it’s easy to tune into autopilot, a state where BRF often subconsciously surfaces. So it’s time to practice some good old fashioned mindfulness, in an effort to bring back those big beautiful smiles. After all, a smile is one of the world’s most powerful gestures.
Five reasons to always have a smile on your dial:
- It releases a bucket load of endorphins which are the brains naturally occurring ‘feel-good’ chemicals. These powerful little compounds have a long and lengthy list of health benefits including reduced stress, increased productivity and have even been proven to significantly reduce the symptoms of depression and anxiety.
- It takes years off your face, so you won’t have to keep forking out for pricey anti-aging serums! The muscles you engage when you smile lift your face and make you look averagely three years younger.
- It alters the chemistry in your body and boosts your immune system to keep it strong enough to ward off colds, flus and any other nasty infections that might be lurking. That alone gives you more reasons to smile!
- It’s a natural pain killer! A simple smile releases serotonin, which helps numb the sensation of pain. So the next time you have a headache, don’t pop a painkiller, crack a smile!
- It’s contagious, so pass it on! Seriously, who wouldn’t want to catch happy?
Places it’s perfectly acceptable to smile:
At the gym
Believe it or not, it’s perfectly acceptable to smile while you squat jump. Trust me; I know that when you hit the 40-minute mark in a high impact cardio class, your fatigue is so ferocious, you feel as though your days are numbered. But instead of looking for the light, turn your frown upside down. I promise it will give you the little kick you need to get you one step closer to your fitness goals! If you’re really on Struggle Street, just hone in and focus on how toned your legs will look, that’s a sure-fire way to induce a little grin.
In a meeting
To avoid the risk of looking like a stunned mullet the next time you’re in a meeting, why not try flashing a smile? Not only will it keep you looking interested and engaged in the discussion (even if you’re not) but it’s also the easiest way to create a positive flow of energy, and in turn, a positive work culture for you and all your co-workers. Win win.
In the street
We live in a world where we’re all far too concerned with what others think of us, which is probably what accounts for the crowds of grimacing glares traipsing through the city each morning on their way to work. I know that we all have bad days, but we all have good days too and by projecting a bit positive energy onto someone you pass by in the street, it might be all they need to turn their mood from bad to glad. Try it, I dare you!