As we all know, the concept of being healthy spawns a multitude of aspects of our lives – it’s not just how much we exercise or what we eat. So today we’re deviating from our regular programming to focus on a different (but no less interesting) aspect of our wellbeing.
Have you ever wondered how to discern when someone is lying to you? It can be difficult to detect. On any given day we’re lied to from 10 to 200 times, and the clues to detect those lie can be subtle and counter-intuitive.
Here are nine tips to help assist your inner detective work out whether someone is telling little porky pies.
1) Too much or too little eye contact. Liars tend to avoid looking people in the eye, but if they are staring you down, they may be working hard at lying.
2) Over-emphasizes details. When people are trying to avoid telling the truth, they often pick some obscure point and talk about it a lot instead of focusing on the key issue.
3) Fidgeting. Is the person you’re talking to very fidgety? You often see kids do this when they’re telling a tale. That’s a sign that someone may be lying.
4) Touching nose. Research shows that when people lie, they tend to touch the base of their nose a lot, which is a dead giveaway.
5) Mouth pursed. When people tell a lie, they can’t get enough oxygen, so they tend to breathe through their mouth instead of through their nose.
6) Speech hesitations. Pausing, throat clearing, or other stalling techniques may indicate that a person is embellishing the truth.
7) Looking up or down. They may be stalling for time.
8) Answers questions not asked. Without even asking them a question, liars will defend themselves.
9) Other body language to check for to spot a potential liar include: excessive blinking, dilated pupils, pitch changes, less smiling, and shrugging shoulders.
So with these in mind, be wary of the tell-tale signs next time you think someone may be taking you down the garden path.
via: Dr Phil.