It’s no secret that now more than ever our bodies are exposed to harmful toxins that do all sorts of outrageously damaging things to our health. They’re in the air we breathe, food we eat and water we drink. The list is almost endless. Although (short of wearing an oxygen mask and never leaving the house) it’s impossible to completely cut out our exposure to all toxins, we can definitely reduce unnecessary exposure as well as improve our body’s efficiency and ability to eradicate them.
Traditionally when we think of detoxing, it’s all healthy foods and cutting out nasties. However, there’s another way to rid your body of toxins that’s a little unorthodox but just as effective (not to mention relaxing).
A detox bath encourages the body to efficiently flush out toxins. When we take a detox bath, we’re not only boosting our health and well-being, but also strengthening our immune system. A detox bath is one of the easiest healing therapies that can be done to facilitate and enhance our body’s natural detoxification process.
Typically, a detox bath is made with Epsom salts, which not only draws out toxins, but also has health benefits of its own:
- Eases stress and improves sleep and concentration
- Help muscles and nerves function properly
- Helps prevent artery hardening and blood clots
- Reduce inflammation to relieve pain and muscle cramps
- Improves oxygen use
- Improves absorption of nutrients
- Help prevent or ease migraine headaches
DETOX BATH: How To
- Add 5-10 drops of oil to 2 cups of Epsom salt, then add to a standard tub full of water.
- It’s important to keep the water quite hot, as you want to make sure you create a nice sweat.
- If your bath water isn’t filtered, add 1 cup of baking soda as this helps neutralize the chemicals as well as increase mineral absorption.
- Immerse yourself in the water, all the way up to your neck. You want as much of your body underwater as you can.